Monday 23 January 2012

Do penguins have it right??

So I'm thinking about the "one" and who or what that may mean..


Did you know, Penguins mate for life.. Yes life..!!   
They find their 'one', their perfect fit and they stay together as mates for the entirety of their existence.. Until they die..!!!  
I know the movie 'Happy Feet' has romanticised it.. The penguins found partners who matched their 'heartsong', but it makes me wonder, is it really a meeting of souls?? or an animalistic urge to be mated off at the drop of a hat, and if so is this true for all species including Humans??


As I get older I've started to question this whole Marriage scenario... Not that its not a lovely dream, one day I would like to find myself in a position where I truely feel this desire to proclaim myself to the world that I am sincerely happy if not ecstatic to be binding myself to another soul for life.. Oh yes, I've toyed with the notion, I've made plans, chosen dresses, worn the diamonds, even colour schemed and set the scene, yet something in me shies away from actually going through the motions and bringing it all to fruition..


That in itself makes me wonder, why!? and am I actually cutting my nose off to spite my face..


Should I or anyone for that matter, just up and marry someone who is 'pretty good', 'ok', 'suits me', 'we used to get along', 'I loved them once', 'we have kids', 'is my best friend', 'It's too hard to leave', 'once upon a time' etc etc blah blah blah... Im not saying any of these are my situations but I do seem to hear alot of my friends say these things and to be honest it kinda scares me.. Is that it!?? seriously?? just do it "because"...


I want fireworks, and big bangs, all night conversations, tingles when we touch and the feeling that it cant happen soon enough.. but does that happen anymore? Do soulmates really exist or is it a notion borne of fairytales and generations of hopeless discontent.. Im not saying I want to be joyously happy all the time, but 98% isnt much to ask for is it?? Or is a real soulmate the one who is the best friend, who you can look like crap in front of, who knows all your evil ways and bad mistakes and accepts you for who you are?? and whilst they can only really make 75% of your time together perfect, it's more perfect for you than any non existent perfect 'One' could ever be.. Not to mention a better option than waiting around 10yrs for Mr or Miss.Perfect and getting so old and desperate that in actual fact 25% perfect actually starts to look pretty good..


I guess until I hit that aisle smiling I just wont know.... and these are the days of our lives....................


until tomorrow
Mama, Madly......

No comments:

Post a Comment