Wednesday 11 January 2012

Better the devil you know??

I have heaps of mates, good friends, childless friends, artistic friends, amazing girly mummy friends, blokey mens men, ones from primary school, high school and a myriad of different work places that I have accumulated over the years.. but some of my most amazing friendship I have are born via the big bad wide world of the web..

Yes, I have internet friends.. Friends I've never literally met but I would go so far as to say that they are in fact some of my closest friends.. My 'Netty' friends,, and on occassion I wonder, how real is it!? Would we actually get along in Real Life!? How tangible is this bond?? and if it came to it would I want to meet, would that burst my bubble...??

Dont get me wrong, its not that I dont want to meet them, of course I'd love to *most do live interstate though* Its just that I worry what seems to be a mutually satisfying, supportive & stimulating friendship could disintergrate,, maybe they will disappoint me, maybe I in fact will disappoint them, I dont know, or is this or should this be a case of "If it aint broke, dont fix it"...

Some of my most amazing friendship were born from my need to talk to other Mothers who have children with Hemiplegic Cerebral Palsy like my 5yr old, I was scared, alone and needed support from people who just 'got it'.. These friendships I will have forever, I appreciate them beyond words, they have gotten me through my darkest hours, and I truely hope one day to meet..

What has really become apparent to me regarding internet friendships is, there are no silly 'looks/job/economic' judgements that can&do colour or stain *Real Life or R/L* friends, no petty drama that goes unresolved because Netty friends have the advantage of communication.. We talk, really talk, on a substantial level that is sometimes hard face to face.. About anything and everything, and we have interest in each others world, even the boring mundane stuff.. We share stories of our kids, our loves, our heartbreaks, our stupidity and we just 'enjoy' the others company, some of the things that in R/L we may not have the energy for in the moment that it is shared with us..

I used to scoff at people with 'Netty' friends or loves, but I get it, really get it now.. I dont mind being able to go for a cuppa or a shopping marathon or having a good laugh at the movies with a friend who knows me inside out we just 'are' in the moment together, but I can honestly say I dont know how I would survive with out my netties.. I may not 'know' them but I think sometimes there is more authenticity in a web laughing or crying session than sitting within 5ft of a real life friend..

Here's to all the Netty friends

Mama, Madly... xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment