Wednesday 8 August 2012

Summer lust, when you're a little S.A.D...

Am I the only one who finds winter, dull and dreary and miserable.. It completely depresses and overrides any need or want I have to do anything...

I have got so much to do, everyday, and yet the cold wet weather hits and I become the same, in mind and spirit.. I become winters miserable mistress and it knocks the wind out of my sails faster than you can say 'Hot Chocolate'..

I adore putting on thick socks & gumboots and my beanie and scarf collection is out of control, I love opening umbrella's and jumping in puddles and winter walking with my kiddies, looking at the wonders that rain and cold weather bring.. I love Ugg boots and hot chocolate and snuggles on my granny blanketed couches watching kids/romantic comedies and just enjoying our "lazy, homely, family" days.. Winter really is so beautiful, but It makes me sad.. Or should I say S.A.D....

Seasonal Affective Disorder.. or SAD.. When it gets cold and the sun stops shining so much and the lack of Vit.D and ultraviolet rays makes receptors in your brain register differently,, on can come slight depression because our hormones aren't stimulated and we do not produce enough melatonin or some whoooo-haa like that.. Whatever, that's my completely 'scientific' take on it, but my Blaise take is; Its winter and as much as I love it once the cold hits my bones and the sun has gone down before I've gotten all my 'stuff' done and it's rained for a day and a half and the warmth of the sun hasn't touched my face then I don't only get sad, I get grumpy and sometimes a little bit like the grinch.. I moan and groan, and generally get absolutely sweet amounts of nothing done!! Does anyone else get this or am I hiding behind a good excuse for lazy..??? ;))

I know the way to treat sad is with light therapy which is costly, hmmm, I have considered standing over my desk lamp  and holding my eyelids open over the bulb, but not only do I think that, that wont cut it, I'm sure to have an eyeball / burn moment that I'd really rather not..

I think instead I'm going to create a 'Paradise' room in my house, fake blow up palm tree's, lots of pina colada non-alcoholic drinks {because much like the bathroom and toilet if I go in there my kids will want and demand to come too}.. Then again maybe that's exactly why alcohol is needed!! I could just break out some old Beach Boy records, hook up an extra heater, drape a few sarongs around, dump a bag of sand on the floor and wear a Lei or ten..

Yeah, I know, I know, it 'aint gonna work' but a girl can dream can't she.. I'm being a whinger, I'll be the same in the boiling heat of our ridiculously hot lung burning summer, but I just want to feel my fingers when I type goddamn it.. I also would like to get up and actually 'want' to do something, anything, everything.. Bring on the warmth baby.. That summer & sunshine is the therapy I need.. It's time to shut the umbrella and shove the gummies to the back of the cupboard, well it feels like its time anyway.. I will miss it when it's gone but..

As Nat King Cole said, 'Roll out those lazy, hazy, crazy days of summer'..

Love Love

Mama, Madly...

No comments:

Post a Comment