Thursday 9 August 2012

Love versus Political correctness

Today my son, just shy of 16, and I went on an adventure..

I am a great Mama, I am a bad mama, whatever the world wants to see, I am his Mama, and he is my baby bear..

Today my biggest boy Zaine and I went and got inked.. Arrrgghhhh, I hear so silently coming from those that judge, oohhhh I see in the eyes of those that parent carefully and to the confines of society's right and wrong labels, Aha with a hint of a smile is what I hear from those that know me, know us, and know our story.. Our path.. And know that I of all people dance to the beat of my own drum and want my kids to be free within the rythym of their souls too..

When Zaine was 5, he told me he was going to have a tattoo like me {I have a few tatts, at that time quite a large new filigree art deco design across my back} obviously being a Mama,  I kinda brushed it off, I told him he had to wait till 16ish, we pinky swore, I would let him ~ Well he remembered and he held me to it... I know I'm very liberal and lots of people will tut and ho-hum, but this was OUR journey and I don't give a shit what anybody thinks hey.. lol

Before my {nearly} 6yr old Eamon came along, It was team 'US' for years, Zaine was nearly 10 when Eamon was born and after his fathers and my relationship broke down we had been alone for a few years.. We rocked out in our own little world, that just cruised with love, laughter and ease.. We had lots of adventures and had such an amazing relationship and then (not being horrible, just the reality of it) but with a new relationship, Eamon {bless my beautiful boy} then came along and life got so terribly complicated, having 20 odd strokes at 3wks old, severe epilepsy, told for two years he was going to die and then the trials and tribulations of consistent care of a child with Hemiplegic Cerebral Palsy and eventually an austism/aspergers diagnosis.. I became quite absent, not through want or need, but rather precariously on the edge of a life or death situation, that had my heart in its clutches..

Zaine was and has been so amazing but must have felt so lost and alone on occasion, because I had so much going on he didnt get the attention and time he deserved or was used to.. And I was so stuck in 'Just DO, and auto-pilot, and grief' I found it hard to even be present in myself let alone the energy for anything or anyone else, .. I had become a shadow of his former Mum, and I could feel him slipping away, team 'US' slipping away and it broke my heart, my heart and soul, but I did not know how to fix it.. In saying that, we are close, we lost it for a while but we got it back, and we are still so really close.. I try to make time to have convo's or even just 'time' with him everyday, even just 5mins.. I literally run down the hall {he hears me coming and laughs and ducks and rolls his eyes in anticipation and feigned annoyance} and I throw myself on his bed.. In between annoying him and poking him and occassionally doing my version of the Melbourne shuffle/bum dance on his bed, we have deep talks, that are outside the borders of teenage boy grunting and we smile.. I scruff his uber cool hair and we are all good.. We remember..


So I guess to everyone else our Tattoo's may symbolise bad parenting, way too liberal, way too easy, way too whatever they may decide they think they know what this to be.. But to 'US', this is just a reminder of our unbreakable 'eternal' bond and how much we do love each other as Mama & Son.. I have the, 'Love', it gives him the 'Strength' and it just is 'US'.. It's a reminder that underneath it all we are still the little boy playing with his beloved Toy Story figurines, sitting on his Mama's back tracing her new tattoo saying "Mummy I love your art, I want to have one like you one day, We can get matching one's together.. Lets get infinity and beyond".. We love our kids always and forever, Im happy for him to have something to remind him of that everyday ;))

Do not judge the story if you've only read the blurb..

Mama, Madly.. ♥

1 comment:

  1. Thats the sweetest, inspirational, most relate able
    story i have read. Thats my son's and I, to different degree's, together or seperate.
    Thats just awesome.
    Good luck to you mamma bear and your cubs

    ReplyDelete