Friday 15 June 2012

Angry Girl Music..

Yesterday I downloaded a copy of Alanis Morrisette's "Jagged Little Pill" album.. If no-one remembers her she's the brunette with serious long hair, a nasally wail, an attitude most people found confronting, who sang angry girl music about irony and how &%$#@ she was, or maybe it was about how &^%$# everyone else was and she was perfect?? Its hard to tell these days..


I love angry girl music, what can I say.. It has helped me struggle through the worst of times, it has on occasion given me a backbone where before there had only been fear and self loathing..
I'm listening to the album as I write, I know every single word, every note, even the break in between.. Wow, she was an angry lady and lyrics wise I'd say a man was at the base of it.. .. And I completely get it.


On some level I guess singer/writers/famous people like Alanis give women a bad name when it comes to man bashing.. I am not a man basher, In fact I love men..!! I love the differences between men and women, I appreciate even the simple and apparent differences like a women's softness and the rugged masculinity of a man's physique in comparison, Its actually one of the things I like best about men, how feminine they make me feel, If only I allow it.. I don't believe in emasculating men from their role as hunter gatherers, in reality women don't empower themselves when they think they do because they supposedly don't 'need' a man's help.. In fact women who 'allow' men to "provide" so they feel like a galant knight, doesn't make women powerless..!! I personally believe, if we can make a man feel this way its actually very empowering..


Hell, I can mow my own lawns and I can change a car tyre, I can even do a head gasket or put Ikea furniture together if need be, but its so much nicer allowing men to be the saviour and us be the damsel in distress.. Its not a truth, especially in this day and age of capability, but if it makes both our ego's and all our needs to feel needed or loved are fulfilled then who really is it hurting.. Damn feminists..!!

Man-bashing was not all Alanis raged about on this album, she raged on about friends, parents, even the church, it was all about LACK, but still I listen.. Still I love it.. I finally can see this album, was borne I am quite sure at the time when she was going through her own 'dark night of the soul' and she was pissed off at every thing and everyone. I so get it, I've been there. Most people have.. I don't agree with a lot of her complaints, although at one time I did, and I really needed her..!! Especially during my first longterm relationship breakup, this album was my "YEAH.." moment everyday.. and even now I'm going yeahhh, but its on such a different level, and I'm really enjoying it..!!


Thank goodness for growing up, and wisdom.. Alanis {and all the other angry girl music I have or do still listen to} has taught me to allow my self-righteous rage, to empower myself, and most of all to not be a victim.. My age has taught me this album was most probably borne from victim mentality, I can own my decisions and my own part in issues these days, Ive learnt personal responsibility..


Don't think I'll listen to this album as faithfully as I once did, I've already moved on to Otis Redding, but I do still and I'm sure always will love it..
Thanks Alanis, Ive got one hand in my pocket and the other one is giving you the peace sign ;) xx


Mama, Madly.... xoxo

3 comments:

  1. Have you listened to the new album by Lissie, 'Covered Up With Flowers', there's a great Fleetwood Mac cover version on there.... or the new one from Sinead O'Connor 'How About I Be Me (And You Be You)', that makes interesting listening... you wouldn't recognise her these days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ohhh no I havent.. will have to download those aswell!! I love Sinead, infact my oldest lad's middle name is "O'Connor" because we loved her so much lol.. oh thats sad, but it works ;))

    ReplyDelete
  3. She has had somewhat of a car crash life for the last 20 years, makes pretty sad reading especially when you look back at how beautiful she was and how successful her 1990 album 'I do not want...' was. Still sounds the same though.

    ReplyDelete