Saturday 13 October 2012

What is it with Dads.....

I get up this morning after my "only once a month" *sleep in* {you know those sleep in's, that are really just seen as "awesome, Mums in one spot, lets hassle the crap out of her" aka teddy in face, snot wiped on tshirt &/or doona, and that horrible word we hate on those mornings spoken about a thousand times, yes, the 'Mum' word!!} anyway, I walk into the kitchen for my 'hello world' coffee, that is after wading through the gauntlet that would be the kids toys strewn across the lounge room floor and what do I walk into!??

Youngest miss is sitting eating breakfast with a full fro that appears to have been styled via cereal milk, wearing a christmas tinsel scarf, her pants are off {our 'nudie' child} and she had the most amazing 'pretty' art penned/texta'd up and down her legs {insert completely unimpressed face here}.. Two steps into the kitchen and lil'miss breaks out into a grin that would put the Cheshire cat to shame. She gives me a wave and her (seriously ugly) pirate face wink when she see's me, so much joy!! Then I realised, it is not necessarily natural, and comes in all probability from her being sugared up to the eyeballs, as Dad has broken out his secret stash of Coco Pops as a weekend treat.. that of course, both the younger ones are happily tucking into..

The slightly older lad is sitting grinning next to her, he has a 'cat in the hat' hi-top hat, half a batman costume haphazardly put on and a chocolate milk beard... He also has what appears to be a piece of Vegemite toast stuck to his arm, undoubtedly from where he lent in it with his elbows on his plate.. That one thing my kids just cannot seem to grasp, do not lean in or on your food..!! He's warbling on about some crap that my as of yet squinty uncrossed eyes and ears are unable to focus upon to really understand and I have to hold up the hands of defeat.. 'Stopppp'.. They all laugh at me..

The teens are nowhere to be seen, although this is not unusual, the noise in my house see's them scurry off into the abysses of their uber cool yet semi smelly teen caves.. Obviously trying to drown out the chaos with what appears to possibly be the musical sounds, the sounds of some kind of feral cat mating ritual and I'm sure would make one's ears bleed, yet I have been sarcastically informed it is in fact THE BEST music ever made *shudder*..

Anyway, I'm allowed a 3 minute respite.. I get a few sips of black gold in and in attempting to seat myself I manage to get an army guy wedged up my arse, 'good morning!'  and then it begins again, the onslaught of garbled kiddy convo.. Master 5 has just reminded me (10x in the same sentence) about the large canvas and paint project we've been talking about.. I promised we'd do it this weekend, before his 6th birthday, which happens to be tomorrow, and I'm pretty sure he's not going to let me get away with not doing it.. I'm looking at the soaking dishes, a baby bottle (with a little milk in it) sitting atop an oily frypan, and the three loads of washing sitting in baskets by the backdoor thinking sure a huge messy paint project is exactly what this picture needs :/

Dad's walking around feathers all fluffed up, proud as punch, see what I did, I let you sleep in AND looked after the kids AND I've done the dishes AND done the washing *ahem, saying 'done' implies completed, of which it clearly is not* AND his piece de resistance, I reminded Little mister about the cool day you've got planned with the paints too.. Yes *gritted teeth* look what you've done.. Damn you darrrrrrllliing, Damn you to hell..

All of a sudden I hear it "right, my job is done, I'm off for a surf!! Have a great day".. Um, what the hell.. You mean after I've cleaned up after you're cleaning up attempts.. Plus the cleaning kids etc etc..

Well yes, I am going to have a great day.. The dishes can wait till you've finished surfing m'dear, the teens have head phones which will enable music listening whilst hanging out clothes, and my younger ferals are already filthy so let's get our art on.. Beautiful warm sunshiney day, might just hose them down and water the garden at the same time.. Two birds!!

I know what it is with Dad's.. Care factor.. Today mine has hit dad zone, so stuff it.. Let play.. :D

Mama, Madly xxx


7 comments:

  1. Oh I knew you would so get it LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Always a positive out of all the chaos! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh My dear you are an awesome, funny talented lady.
    You always know how to put a positive spin on things!! You had me in stitches!!! xox

    ReplyDelete
  4. Blaise, this is AH-mazing! I can't believe there is 'another' hubby like mine! Just like reading a page from my own life when it comes to the 'dad' thing...... Hahahaha! Great blog hun! Looking forward to reading more. C xox

    ReplyDelete
  5. ugh, I sooo know where you are coming from. The same thing happens here lol xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm just nodding! lol. If we didn't love them so much, we'd run away and leave them with the kids... forever!
    You really should write more, I really enjoyed this post hun xo

    ReplyDelete